Thursday, October 21, 2010

2010: A Year of Injuries and Waiver Claims by Jeremy Dayton


Wow.  For those that hold the belief that fantasy football is just as much about luck, as it is solid drafting, waiver wire scouting, and starting lineup decisions, this is your year.  In the league that I commission, I had what I thought was a power house after the draft.  And then injuries struck.  Again.  Again.  And again…

My week one starting lineup consisted of Ryan Mathews, Pierre Thomas, DeAngelo Williams, Andre Johnson, Santana Moss, Antonio Gates, and Kevin Kolb.  My bench also included Ben Roethlisberger and Darren Mcfadden.

It all started with Kevin Kolb going down, and the Michael Vick explosion.  My week 5 insurance policy of Ben Roethlisberger never got a chance to be cashed.  Ryan Mathews then rolled his ankle.  Then Andre Johnson.  I then traded away Big Ben and McFadden for Aaron Rodgers, but even injuries happening AROUND Rodgers are affecting his numbers.  I thought I was still in fine position after a 2-1 start.  Then I went on to lose the past 3 weeks, most brutally 2 weeks ago.

When I got blocked in my waiver claim of Michael Vick after Kolb went down, I did stake claim to Mark Clayton.  He was a godsend filling in for my injured running backs at flex, especially being that this is a PPR league.  Of course, injury struck him too.  Two weeks ago Clayton went down early- netting me 1 point.  What I thought was a great move in picking up Rodgers, ending up haunting me, as his overtime interception versus the Redskins, and subsequent two point deduction, handed me a 1 point loss.  Not that I regret the move, but the way it turned out was/is surely regrettable.  Clayton’s injury was the real killer though.

Follow that loss up with the continued absence of Pierre Thomas, who suffered an ankle injury several weeks ago, forcing me into starting Willis McGahee the week he puts up a donut, and things are not going so well for my all-star roster.  Gates injury, plus that donut, led me to another tough defeat this past weekend.  For my own sake, I’m glad the NFL is cracking down on the hard hits some of my offensive studs are taking.  At 2-4, I need some help.  This leads me to what the season is becoming, the year of the Waiver Wire.

I’m sure I’m not alone.  Many of you out there are facing injuries, some more than others.  There is a bright spot that you can gleam from this.  Next Man Up.  The Waiver Wire.  This is where you can try to find the diamonds in the rough that will step up, in the absence of so many injured stars.    So, who are the guys you should target?  I’ll start with the guys suddenly on my roster, whom will be starting on my team this week.  (The first two anyway).

Mike Williams, WR, Seahawks.  The USC product has been given new life in Seattle, and with the departure of Deion Grant, stepped up in a big way this past week.  He’s a huge target for Matt Hasselbeck, and I expect him to continue looking for the former 1st round pick as the season goes on.  I can only hope he duplicates last week’s performance, this week!  Next up…

Denario Alexander, WR, Rams.  The former Missouri Tiger has the makings of a star, and that might pertain to the big screen as well.  The guy has come back from THREE ACL tears and a fractured wrist.  Now finally healthy, and after being passed over by everyone in the draft, he actually has a chance to show the promise he displayed in college.  With good size, solid hands, surprising post surgery speed, and an offense that figures to be passing a lot the rest of the way, he’s a guy to pick up now.  He came up big last week, and I expect him to only get better.  This kid has the makings of a Hollywood screenplay if he can stay on the field this year. Look for Bradford to keep looking the rookie’s way, and now is the time to grab him.  

Deion Branch, WR, Patriots.  Not exactly a surprise, but has to be mentioned.  The chemistry between he and Tom Brady against a tough Ravens defense was obvious.   He stepped right in and had the type of game the Seahawks expected of him when they traded for him four years ago.  Especially in PPR leagues, this is a guy with a lot of value right now, even in an offense that spreads the ball.  Grab him if he’s still around!

Tony Moeaki, TE, Chiefs.  Okay, now this is a guy whose had a lot of buzz, and looks a lot like a younger Tony Gonzalez.  However, he’s still available in almost eighty percent of ESPN leagues.  If you need help at tight end, he’s a guy to pick up now, especially if you’re a Gates owner (like me)!

With injuries popping up literally out of nowhere, guys who yesterday weren’t worth mentioning, today become fantasy relevant.

Today it was announced that not only is Dallas Clark lost for a few weeks, if not more, but also that wide receiver Austin Collie will be lost for a few weeks, after undergoing hand surgery.  Suddenly Blair White looks like a solid guy to have.  Heck, anyone running patterns in Indianapolis is worth starting in a pinch.  Obviously Pierre Garcon’s stock took a major climb with that news as well.  If you can get your hands on any of them, grab away… fast!

A few other guys worth adding, although some are probably already snatched up…

Robert Meachem, WR, Saints – Finally stepping up in a potent offense that loves to pass the ball

Danny Woodhead, RB/WR, Patriots – The little man that could is surprising everyone, and I don’t see why he can’t continue to put up numbers good enough to be a fill-in when needed.  His position flexibility is the kicker.

James Starks, RB, Packers – Brandon Jackson is running out of time.  Starks will get his chance.


Deon Butler, WR, Seahawks – Williams can’t be the only guy catching passes, and his first game replacing the other Deion would’ve gotten more attention, were it not for his teammate Williams.

Chris Ivory, RB, Saints – You probably heard he ran thru the Tampa defense with ease, and he’s probably already on a roster, but I had to mention him anyway.  He’ll have at least one more week to strut his stuff.

Kenny Britt, WR, Titans – A touchdown catch in 4 straight weeks??  How is he not getting more respect?

The list could go on, and I’m sure it will only grow in the coming weeks.  Guys are going down with injuries at a record pace this season, and I’m sure many fantasy dreams are being crushed in the process.  As each and every NFL team must do though, you’ve got to persevere.  When a starter goes down, do some scouting, (or come here for advice), and pick up a replacement.  

Bad luck can be a difference in a winning and losing season, but playing the waiver wire properly can offset those misfortunes if you’re diligent.  So make your waiver claims, set your starting lineups, hope that you’re injured stars heal fast, and cross your fingers that the injury bug will go away!   Or, at the very least, bite somebody else’s team!

Then, sit back, relax, and enjoy some football…


No comments:

Post a Comment